«We are thrilled to be recognized by Gartner among the 17 vendors for agile tools. We consider it as confirmation of our mission to enable software-driven companies deliver high-end and standards-compliant technology products. We believe it is the recognition of the value added of the all-in-one approach of Tuleap, in which flexible agile planning and tracking, early testing and end-to-end traceability are at the heart. »Laurent CHARLES, CEO of Enalean
Who is Gartner
Gartner Inc. delivers actionable objective insight to executives and their teams. Made of a global team of 2,150+ research and advisory experts, they provides get in-depth guidance, through rigorous proprietary research methodologies to ensure all insights are independent and objective. Among all the reports they provided, there are the Magic Quadrants.
Gartner Magic Quadrants provides a graphical competitive positioning of technology providers in fast-growing markets. In a quadrant, software vendors are positioned in four categories: Leaders, Challengers, Niche Players and Visionaries.
What is the Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Agile Planning (EAP) tools
A Magic Quadrant is a chart positioning technology players within a specific market. For a few years, Gartner publishes a Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Agile Planning solutions. According to Gartner, EAP tools are “products that enable organizations to scale their agile practices to support a holistic enterprise view. These tools act as a hub for the definition, planning and management of work. Just as agile is an evolution of development methodologies, EAP tools are an evolution of project-/team-centric tools to support a business-outcome-driven approach to managing agile product delivery at scale. ”
How to use a Magic Quadrant
Use a Gartner Magic Quadrant as a first step to understanding the technology providers you might consider for a specific investment opportunity.
Keep in mind that focusing on the leaders’ quadrant isn’t always the best course of action. There are good reasons to consider market challengers. A Niche Player may support your needs better than a market leader. It all depends on how the provider aligns with your business goals.
Source page for this section’s information, retrieved from Gartner® website: https://www.gartner.com/en/research/methodologies/magic-quadrants-research
Why Enterprise Agile Planning tools are gaining traction
Gartner says: “Enterprise agile is a steadily growing mainstream practice. Organizations adopting enterprise agile development are challenged to coordinate the work of multiple agile teams and adapt their governance and leadership processes to support agile methodologies. EAP tools help with this by providing increased visibility into the delivery of work.
This evolution is highlighted by the fact that several of these tools also offer project portfolio management (PPM) and strategic portfolio management (SPM) capabilities. Value streams are emerging as a popular way to optimize delivery from agile/DevOps teams. This is reflected in EAP vendors now supporting the value stream construct and the convergence of functionality with value stream management platforms (VSMPs) and value stream delivery platforms (VSDPs).”
According to Gartner, following are four trends driving this market:
- IT leaders are increasingly looking to optimize their overall concept-to-cash software development life cycle or DevOps value stream. EAP tools are responding to provide better visibility and interconnections to all the tools along the value stream.
- Greater adoption of the product model to enable greater adaptability to IT customer needs. IT leaders need to govern hybrid waterfall, and agile work and teams, from a single tool. The product model helps bridge the business-to-IT gap and instills a culture of learning and customer focus.
- The EAP tools are gravitating toward richer support for SAFe over other agile scaling frameworks.
- Due to the high risks involved in failure of cyber-physical systems, there is an increased need for EAP tools to provide rich support of compliance and auditing.”
How Gartner selected the 17 providers of EAP tools for 2022
The Magic Quadrant for EAP tools analyses a growing-market; to help applications and software engineering leaders make the right choice, analysts examined the strengths and cautions of 17 providers. Magic Quadrants are based on rigorous, fact-based analysis backed by a highly structured methodology. Each year, Gartner adjusts its evaluation and inclusion criteria as the technology market evolves. Gartner’s Magic Quadrant research identifies and analyzes the most relevant providers and their products in a market. Providers are included in a Magic Quadrant if they meet its inclusion criteria, which are defined by Gartner analysts.
MEET INCLUSION CRITERIA
To qualify for inclusion in this quadrant, each vendor needed to meet a list of criteria, including:
- have at least two customers with 500 or more licensed, paid users,
- have at least 10,000 licensed, paid users,
- provide services including support and training for, as well as implementation of the products,
- the product must include a RESTful integration API and a capability to integrate with a DevOps toolchain.
- the product must support one of the following use cases :
- Digital product portfolio: the EAP tool is used to plan and track an organizational group made up of two to nine teams assigned long term to a single product line or family.
- Hybrid project and program portfolio: the EAP tool is used to plan and track a large set of 10 or more teams working on a portfolio of projects and/or products.
- SAFe: The ability to plan and track work using Portfolio SAFe as documented in SAFe version 5.0.
Providers that do not meet the Magic Quadrant criteria for inclusion may be cited in the research, but are not part of the comparative evaluation.
Provide CRITICAL CAPABILITIES
According to Gartner, the aim of EAP tools is to enable:
- Monthly, weekly and even daily incremental value delivery based on business outcomes
- Support for enterprise agile frameworks like Scaled Agile framework (SAFe)
- Product roadmapping
- Management of strategy, investments and objectives
- Increased visibility into the flow of work
- Management of work backlogs
- Collaboration capabilities for individuals and teams
- Management of cross-team dependencies
- Release planning and forecasting
- Visibility into the financial aspects of the work being done”
EAP solutions are assessed on those capabilities.
Enalean, provider of Tuleap, recognized as a “Niche Player”
The Niche Player marrying Agile and Compliance
This year Enalean, the software provider of Tuleap, has been recognized for the first time in the Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Enterprise Agile Planning tools as a Niche Player.
As Gartner specifies: “some Niche Players within this Magic Quadrant provide optional capabilities, which become product differentiators for them. These capabilities include:
- Support for regulatory compliance processes
- Requirements analysis and management
- Cyber-physical product development support”
We are confident that Enalean is adaptable for companies and organizations in regulated environments willing to improve business agility to deliver compliant stellar software.
The unique solution 100% Open Source of the quadrant
Open Source solutions have long been known for theirs assets of freedom and openness. In addition, in 2022, companies chose open source tools for even more strategic reasons: “Higher quality software” and “Better security”. Look, “89% of IT leaders believe enterprise open source is as secure or more secure than proprietary software.” (The State of Enterprise Open Source, Red Hat report, Febr. 2022). With good reason : today the focus is on security, it’s because the number and the danger of attacks continue to increase. A big business risk for organisations in 2022. To deal with the growing pace of cyber-attacks, companies rely on Open Source software.
To help organisations achieve this challenge, Enalean made the choice to provide its EAP solution Tuleap under a fully Open Source licence.
Key Tenets of Enalean success
We believe that the following got us on to the Magic Quadrant
Tuleap Product Capabilities
- An all-in-one productivity solution for Agile and DevOps
- One Tuleap. Many use cases: SAFe, Scrum, Kanban, Hybrid, Hardware-Software…
- Designed to be redesigned, by teams.
- Agility and Compliance made possible together
Enalean Service Offering
- A commited Customer Service Service, demanding with himself.
- A relationship based on dialogue, focused on solutions finding. Partnerhsip-like.
- Ready for the years to come : 1 Tuleap instance can onboard from 10 to +50K people and thousands of workspaces.
- On-premises or in the Cloud.
- More flexibility. No vendor lock-in. Tuleap is 100% Open Source.
Tuleap users say it
The Tuleap Support group doesn’t just get back to us – they engage with us, learning about our needs and seeking our feedback on possible enhancements. Bugs are fixed so rapidly that I’m both happy and envious – I wish we could be as responsive to our own clients. Read more.Portfolio Manager -Healthcare – Nov, 2021
We needed to customize Tuleap to a specific application in relation to a consortium collaboration. Their technical support, in order to achieve that goal, has been outstanding and we are very satisfied with the final product. Read more.Portfolio Manager- Healthcare – Nov, 2021
The experience is great, contacts with Enalean (software provider of Tuleap) are good. The support is there when needed. Read more.R&D Development- Automotive – Nov 2021
Excellent relationship with vendor, powerful product. Overall satisfied. Read more.Infrastructure & Operations – Government- Nov, 2021
2 top use cases of Tuleap
Agile as a lever to achieve continuous compliance
In the Medical, Automotive, Space-Defense industries, software is at the heart of the technology products. Regulations are highly demanding and change quickly. In 2022, companies in these regulated environments face new challenges: adapt faster to market changes, continuously delivery high-quality products, keep pace with ever-changing regulations.
Agility and Tuleap help reach these challenges.
Aligning teams with Agility at Scale and SAFe®
High-tech products development is generally a complex project that supposes the involvement of several cross-functional teams. The major challenge here is to synchronize teams, sometimes including both hardware components and software services. Tuleap provides teams with all the necessary tools to get aligned at enterprise scale. SAFe® – Scaled Agile Framework is an efficient approach to scale agile and Tuleap actually makes SAFe deployment easier.
Gartner, Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Agile Planning Tools, 25 April 2022, Bill Blosen et. al.
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. This graphic was published by Gartner, Inc. as part of a larger research document and should be evaluated in the context of the entire document. The Gartner document is available upon request from Gartner.com.GARTNER and Magic Quadrant are registered trademarks and service marks of Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and internationally and are used herein with permission. All rights reserved.