Embedded Systems: develop innovative software with higher efficiency and better ROI
Embedded software plays a major role in industrial innovation within the automotive, energy, aerospace industries as well as in many other sectors. Operational reliability and high performance are thus critical and essential.
Smart devices also have been taking an important place in our daily lives: as a result, challenges arise for developers as the environment and the needs of end-users continuously evolve, not to mention the additional, stricter standard requirements.
Tuleap helps you develop performing and compliant embedded systems that really meet both your customers’ needs and industry’s standards, while reducing the time-to-market.
The Main Challenges of Embedded Systems Developments
Functional Safety and Compliance
Safety is the biggest challenge for Embedded System Development: companies must ensure safety when bringing a product to market as they are usually used in many critical environments. Lately, stricter standards concerning quality, testing and engineering expertise for the SDLC (Software Development LifeCycle) of Embedded System are highly required.
Stability and Traceability
The challenge related to software stability is to avoid any risk or unexpected behavior of the device. Also, developers have to provide the proofs of full-traceability for compliance audits purposes; and this, for each and every stage of the Embedded System development: from requirements to source code, through tests, bugs, to bugs resolution and validation.
According to the IoT Analytics’s State of IoT Report, “by 2025, there will likely be more than 37 billion IoT connections”. This gain in popularity of IoT device solutions actually explains why more and more risks are related to security. In fact, since devices are increasingly interconnected to each other, the real challenge for developers is now to ensure their devices protection from any kind of threats.
Fast-paced change and innovation
In the very fast-paced, competitive world of Embedded Systems, product reliability is among the top criteria that matter the most. Then, developers still have to provide customers with functional product, to keep innovating as well as to reduce time-to-market.
How Tuleap helps companies develop high-quality Embedded Systems
Implement Business Agility and DevOps best practices
Provide end-to-end traceability from initial requirements to tests and final deliveries
Improve Software and Hardware teams’ interactions and real-time collaboration
Model your processes and automate workflows
Prepare and pass audits easier and faster, for a cost-effective compliance
Trusted by innovative organisations in several industries
Tuleap capabilities for Embedded Software development
1. Agility and Compliance
Agile practices are perfectly suitable for the development of embedded systems. Discover the power of Agile and DevOps using Tuleap Agile project management tools, to develop highly functional embedded systems.
- Great flexibility and quick adaptation to changing circumstances and environments,
- Real-time collaboration also with third parties whenever they are involved in the process,
- Shorter iterations and adaptive scheduling,
- Continuous integration, development (CI/CD) and delivery,
- Enhanced collaboration between Hardware and Software teams,
- Early testing.
2. Risk management
Risk management is crucial since any potential risk occurring throughout the development process can led to serious quality defects for embedded software systems. The Tuleap Issue Tracking module can help you design and set up a flexible, adapted and optimized system as to meet both your industry’s standards ans challenges.
- Index risks, define risk mitigation measures, make sure you have “acceptable” levels of risk,
- Create requirements approval and validation processes thanks by automating workflows,
- Generate tests and validation campaigns according to the related requirements.
3. Quality Management System (QMS)
Within highly regulated industries such as the embedded software systems one, it is crucial to rely on a quality management system (QMS) to enhance your organization, promote continuous improvement at all levels and ensure compliance (cf. ISO 9001).
- Define and implement a quality management system adapted to your business needs and industry requirements,
- Create test plans from the very beginning of the project to better monitor your products’ quality and conformity
- Standardize automated workflows throughout the development process thanks to advanced setups and triggers,
- Secure your workspace(s) and easily manage access permissions to any embedded device projects and confidential information related to each one of them.
4. Automated end-to-end traceability
In order to limit your exposure to regulatory risks, you need to prove that your are compliant via a traceable log. With Tuleap, ensure gap-free traceability throughout the whole product development lifecycle thanks to a large set of integrated tools.
- Collect, link, organize and manage all evidence on one single place,
- Get a comprehensive product history in a few clicks, listing all its related items and information gathered since the very first stages of the project,
- Achieve A to Z traceability by tracking any changes on project artifacts and components across the value chain (including the design, engineering, delivery and services phases).
5. Quality Assurance and Testing
Quality assurance (QA) testing, with a main focus on reliability, is a must for embedded software systems.
- Accelerate product validation and delivery with the Tuleap Test Management™ module, natively integrated with all the other Tuleap agile tools,
- Set and manage both automated and manual tests more efficiently for easier embedded software validation and conformity,
- Launch and analyze test and validation campaigns in real-time,
- Easily track and monitor any product’s QA activities within a single Tuleap interface.
6. Document Management
- Create requirements specification documents and easily export any Test Plan information in a document form,
- Generate a traceability matrix in a few clicks as a proof of your products’ compliance with standards (i.e. ASPICE, ISO 26262, ISO 13485, IEC 62304…),
- Share quality-related documentation both internally and externally (e.g. in case of remote audits) through Tuleap Document Manager™,
- Ensure obsolete document control for error-free archiving,
- Set document access permissions to secure your workspace(s).
What companies say about Tuleap
The experience is great, contacts with Enalean are good. The support is there when needed.R&D/Product Development – Manufacturing Industry – Nov, 2021
I have used Tuleap framework for many years to track/organize multiple short developments and to manage support flow.R&D/Product Development – Manufacturing Industry – Nov 2021
A tool ready for all the steps of development from the specification up to the delivery.R&D/Product Development – Manufacturing Industry – Nov 2021
The open-source aspect of this ALM gave us a chance to Try it, Test it and finally Trust it.Chief Experience Officer – Manufacturing Industry – Nov, 2021
Replay the webinar
Hardware-Software: how to manage multi-profile teams working on industrial projects?
Developing high-tech products often implies you have to deal with both Hardware and Software. To manage complex industrial projects the right way, you have to make sure to provide your multi-profile teams with effective, adapted management tools.